October 31, 2013

CAMP REFLECTIONS: TAPPING INTO MOTHER NATURE – NESSY SHIMWAFENI


Introducing CAMP REFLECTIONS where participants share their memories and photographs of what life is like on an EcoTraining course…

This one is from Nessy Shimwafeni, currently on a 55 Day FGASA Level 1 course. After starting their adventure in the Selati Game Reserve, the group is now at our wilderness camp in the Makuleke concession in the far north of the Kruger National Park.


Nessy shares his impressions from the first couple of weeks at Selati.

“After a scenic but long drive from Johannesburg to the EcoTraining camp at Selati, I arrived tired and wondering what to expect.






I was greeted by a group of people that was going to be my team for the next 55 days. After a few days, I settled in.

It is magical waking up to a variety of different bird sounds in the morning while I wait to greet the sun. On our guided walks I learn everyday how little I know but how much I gain.






The bush has so much to offer and the EcoTraining instructors are more than willing to share their knowledge as I tap into Mother Nature.

Every day, when I’m on a game drive, I see animals, birds and plants in a whole new light.






Sisi Lorraine in the kitchen ensures that I am well fed and never go hungry.

It is amazing to learn and to seek solitude after a long day in the bush, just sitting and letting the sounds and visuals of the day sink into the deepest of my soul.






I came as a student and I learn that I will keep on learning every day for the rest of my life.


EcoTraining rocks!” 


No comments: