Under the Lewa Milele project, Lewa completed the purchase of its core landholding of 32,000 acres in December 2011. This ensures protection of Lewa in perpetuity
- 2011 was a very good year for rhinos - 9 black rhino calves and 6 white rhino calves were born, increasing the population to 70 black and 58 white rhino!
- The first elephant went through the Mount Kenya corridor underpass on January 1st, 2011, and since then our team has recorded numerous sightings of more elephants (and other wildlife) making use of this innovative “highway”
- We saw the opening of the Ngare Ndare Day Secondary School. 51 children are already enrolled in the school
- The Matunda gate was relocated and re-designed, and the big switch from generator to main grid power was made!
- 1,000 people ran the Safaricom marathon within the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy with the race raising the equivalent of 500,000 US dollars